The mission of this group is to open up a line of communication and support for the LGBT Citadel and Virginia Military Institute communities along with our supporters, friends, and allies.
If you are not yet ready to join as a member, you can still take comfort in knowing that there are many other alumni & cadets just like you.
We understand the various phases and levels of being “out” … first to yourself, then perhaps close friends, peers, parents, your professors or coaches, your workplace or to the world.
You don’t need to be out to join us.
What matters is that you are you. Some of our members are still questioning and many members are straight supporters, friends and allies.
1.To sponsor and support educational, social, and mentoring activities;
2. To work with The Citadel & VMI to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for LGBTQ cadets and graduate students; and
3. To create opportunities for interaction and communication between LGBTQ members and their supporters.
The Citadel and Virginia Military Institute GALA welcomes you.
We are working to make your lives easier in the following ways:
1. Supporting the creation and growth of campus-based Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs);
2. Beginning a dialogue with our Alma Maters to ensure that inclusiveness and equality is a consideration in training, battalion life, and the classroom; and
3. Creating and reconnecting a network of Citadel and VMI LGBT alumni and allies.
We have a large group of both Citadel and VMI alumni in our ranks. We know it was not easy to be an LGBTQ cadet and, for many of us, it was not easy coming to terms with who we were even long after graduation.
Our goal for the Citadel and VMI Alumni Communities is to provide a path for “reconnection” to the many LGBT alumni who have over time disassociated themselves because of their sexuality or gender identity.
In addition, we want to do our part to create an open, working dialogue with The Citadel and VMI about creating a more just, inclusive and equitable environment for LGBTQ cadets and graduate students.
If you are not already a member, please join us.